Preventing, Diagnosing and Treating Gum Disease
Signs of Gum Disease
You should be aware of these signs and symptoms that indicate periodontal disease:
- Bleeding gums
- Swollen, puffy or inflamed gum line
- Gums coming away from teeth
- Red or irritated looking gums
How to Prevent Gum Disease
If you notice any of the symptoms outlined above or want to avoid developing them, take the following preventative measures:
- Brush Twice Daily – Brushing your teeth should not be an optional part of your morning and bedtime routine! Brush at least twice a day. If you eat a large meal or sticky candies, consider brushing your teeth after thirty minutes to limit the amount of food particles, sugars and acid that remain on your teeth.
- Floss Daily – Flossing greatly reduces your chances of developing periodontal disease. Food particles that get stuck between teeth can create a breeding ground for bacteria, irritating gums and causing cavities. Flossing will get to the particles your toothbrush can’t reach and keep your teeth much healthier.
- See Your Dentist – Skipping your professional teeth cleaning is not advised. Seeing your dentist in South Edmonton will ensure you properly identify and treat the early signs of gum disease. A thorough professional cleaning will help you get a fresh start and treat any possible issues
Visit your dental clinic in South Edmonton to combat gum disease and maintain your oral health. Establishing good habits and keeping up with regular dental checkups twice a year will help you support your dental and overall health. Contact the dentists at Saddleback Dental Centre with your questions about gum disease. Our clinic offers a range of services, from teeth cleaning to cosmetic dentistry, and we welcome families with patients of all ages. Call us at 780-437-4872 to book your appointment or contact us online.